If you are not an iOS user or you don’t have MAC and you want to see that how your app looks and works in iOS device or even if you are both iOS and Android user and want to check that how your app looks and works in both devices then Expo is for you. 🙂
What is Expo?
Expo is an open source, freely available SDK, which is used to build your cross platform react native apps. Expo also provides online playground for react native apps, in which you can write code for your apps and check in both iOS and Android devices. Yes, if you don’t have a MAC or iOS system then don’t get disappointed, just try Expo. You can follow this link to open Expo react native playground.
Online Expo playground provides these awesome features:
- Freely write your code.
- Save your work.
- Provides output of your code in both iOS and Android devices.
- Allows you to Embed your code with output.
- Provides QR Code to run your app in real iOS and Android device.
- Provides all advanced native components, which are not yet developed by facebook. Such as: Audio, BarCodeScanner, BlurView, Facebook Banner Ad, Facebook Login and many more. If your are using online playground just drag and drop those components, which you want to use.
- Allows you to Export your code for XDE. XDE stands for Expo Development Environment.
- Shows errors and logs during development.
- Select Expo SDK version.
- Allows you to change theme of code editor. Only provides two themes light and dark.
Note: If you want to run your app in real iOS and Android devices than Expo provides mobile apps for both iOS and Android. You can download Expo app for Android from Google App and for iOS from App Store.
Run your app in Real Devices:
- Complete your code work in Expo playground, save your work and click on QR Code button.
- Open Expo app in your device and choose Scan QR Code option
- Scan QR Code from your device’s Expo app camera to run app in your real device and finally you will get running app in your real device. 😀
- Expo also provides SDK to develop react native apps and provides many native components. I will explain about Expo SDK in detail later on.